Monday, June 13, 2011

One miss and another chance

I have been waiting since Novemberber for my giant swallowtail chrysalis to hatch. I got to the point that I felt it might happen at any time, and I began to leave the net butterfly cage open, so that if it did come out some time when I was not there, it could be free to fly away. And that's what it did over the weekend.
empty chrysalis
Hard to tell, but this is just the empty shell.  Here's what it looked like last fall. I raised it from an egg, so yeah, I'm a little bummed that I missed it.

But...there's always something new to look forward to.

Sphinx moth egg
Last Monday, I found eggs on my tomato plant. Hornworm eggs, most likely. I picked off most of them, but saved this one in a jar.

baby hornworm
It hatched over the weekend. Started out kind of creamy white like this, but quickly turned green once it started eating the leaf.

baby hornworm
It doubled in size by the end of the day.  Two days later, it's bigger still, but it has a long way to go.  There will be more photos to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment