Saturday, June 11, 2011

Land planarian

land planarian
Ever see one of these? The first time I saw one was when we first moved to Fullerton. I thought it was some kind of slug. In fact, I called it a "mystery slug". It wasn't until years later that I found it online and learned it's a flatworm. A land planarian, Bipalium kewense. They live in dark, moist places in the garden, under rocks and such. And they eat earthworms. You can find more information when you click here and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Anyway, I haven't seen one in a long time, and the other day this one was on my patio.  He seemed to have gotten himself stranded and was starting to dry out, much as an earthworm or a slug might when exposed for too long.  I spritzed him with water and he was able to move freely again.
Land planarian AKA hammerhead worm
The puddle I made for him caused a bit of glare that made him hard to photograph, so I moved him to the top of the trash can lid.  You can see why they are sometimes called "hammer head worms".

I also took a brief video which I'll try to get on here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment